You killed my Father. Prepare to die.

The man of the hour, every hour, El Brucio, finally reveals the meaning of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

I am the Greatest.

Monday, April 04, 2005

The death of Billy. Boredom.

Billy died. Who is Billy, you ask? Billy was the bassist from Guitar Wolf, a fun, trashy, insane Japanese garage band. He was 38. Had a family. His heart just stop beating. He rocked too hard, I guess. His real name was Hideaki Sekiguchi.

Oh yeah, and some John Paul guy died as well.

Anyways, I thought I'd relay the funniest conversation I've had in a while into the blogging world... I was over at Jon and Moir's, watching the Egos & Icons feature on 50 Cent, and they showed his kid. I said, "I couldn't imagine ever being the son of a rap star", and Jon agreed (Moir was not back from work yet, it was just Jon and I). Then I thought about what I said... and asked Jon, "could you imagine if my dad was a rap star? Tony?" We laughed. "Of course, he would have been the original rap star, then, out in the rural Saskatchewan." More laughter. "Do you think rap would've been as big if it had originated in 1960s Saskatchewan rather than late 1970s New York City? How different would it have been?" "Could you imagine my dad referring to my mom as 'his bitch'?" "What would be rapped about? Grain prices?"

So the conclusion came that if my dad was the original rap star, and rap originated in rural Saskatchewan ("Straight Outta Steelman" would've been fabulous), it really just would've been this local oddity that not many people would've heard. Then, when New York begot the hip hop scene/culture in the late 1970s early 1980s, my dad could've become pseudo-famous by showing he was a pioneer. And, by now, he would be more respected and have his own TV show.

My, how things would've been different if only my dad had the creative vision...

1 Comments:

Blogger Dean Ziegler said...

This list is very good, but the question is, how come you don't any Zareeika songs on there. For my money, you can't beat that musical experience

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home